This past weekend I went back to camp to give myself a reboot and try to gain the tools I needed to tackle this new work/life change-up. Because LIFE. Life is messy, and wonderful and scary. It takes time, soul-searching, and some life experience to identify your true passions. I went to workshops that helped find some grounding, and dive deep within myself… actually asking myself what I WANT. A concept that so many of us push aside because life gets too busy.
One of my favorite coaches, Tama Kieves hit the nail on the head for me when she said “If you’re this successful doing work don’t love, what could you do with work you do love?”.
I want you to answer that too.
For me, I want to connect. I want to share my stories, and hear from other women who have the same hurts, triumphs, and passions. I want to create a space where we can know we are not alone. I want to create a community where I can share the tools, tips and tricks I have learned to get through this thing called life with as much grace and humor as we can muster.
So, here is my very first step in sharing. The questions below will help you get out of your mind space, and help you to honesty look into your heart. It is a very cool exercise, and your answers might surprise you.
These prompts are written to tap into your wants, needs, desires, and fantasies. Have fun with them and discover what you can add to your life. This doesn’t have to be final, and you can revisit these as many times as you need. They are here to get your mind thinking, zinging and creating. I have included a printable version of these questions as well, print it out as many times as you need to, and enjoy finding out what you “really, really want” (as the Spice Girls so perfectly sang).
DOWNLOAD HERE: 15 Questions to Ask Yourself
1. What’s the one thing I’ve always wanted to do? Consider what would need to happen in order for you to carry through with this long-sought wish. Make a plan and get started.
2. If I could spend today doing whatever I desire, what would it be? Let your mind go. It could be something related to your work, your home, or simply a lark.
3. Where do I really want to live? What city and what type of residence? Perhaps you’re already fulfilling this passion and you do live in your true first choice. If not, ponder the possibilities of moving to a place you’ll love.
4. Where would I like to visit? Perhaps you’re harboring a secret yearning to visit Washington, D.C. or Westminster Abbey in London. The streets of Hong Kong may be calling your name or even the Grand Canyon. Can you make it happen?
5. What do I talk about doing but never do it? In a conversation, you might state something like, “For the last 10 years, I’ve really wanted to take a cruise to the Caribbean.”
6. What are the reasons I don’t go after my dreams? Explore within yourself why you haven’t pursued the life you want. Can you do something differently to help bring your dreams to life?
7. How will I finish the sentence, “More than anything, before I die, I want to ___________?” Say it out loud and fill in the blank. Then, figure out a way to accomplish your wish.
8. What are the things in my life that I would like to get rid of? If you’re discovering you don’t love everything about your life, maybe it’s time to do some “housecleaning.” Make a list of the ways you’d like your life to change.
9. Which people in my life inspire me and why? It’s important to know who inspires you so you can spend more time with them. What is it about them that lights you up so much? Decide to take every step to be inspired more often.
10. If I were to make just one radical change in my life right now to make life better, what would it be? Your answer to this question will really open up your possibilities. Moving to a bigger city might really spice up your life. Getting more education might be a goal—plus you’ll likely make more money.
11. How do I feel when I put all my effort into accomplishing one of my goals? Notice these feelings. You’ll no doubt want to experience them more often.
12. How do I feel whenever I achieve a life goal? Awesome, probably.
13. What’s missing from my life? Answering this question requires considerable soul-searching.
14. Who are my biggest supporters? It’s wise to know the people that will stand behind you and help you pursue your passions, no matter what.
15. Who gets in the way of me achieving my goals? In order to find your true passions, you might be required to disengage from those who wish to counteract your efforts.